Saturday, November 21, 2009

Extra Credit: The capitol building











The Richmond Capitol Building
The first session of the Virginai state legislature took place in Jamestown in 1619. For over 160 years it met in churches, homes, colleges and taverns until the capitol was moved to Richmond. The assembly met in Shockhoe Bottom in two warehouses until 1780 when funds were appropriated to build a permanent home for the seat government, now Capitol Square.
Thomas Jefferson was asked to design Virginia's capitol. He was inspired by classical Roman temple design. The capitol building is made of brink and covered with stucco. The Corner stone was laid in 1785 when Patirck Henry was Virginia's seventh governor. The six columns on the South portico contain the original pine tree center posts.
The Rotunda in the center of the capitol is crowned by a dome and skylights that illuminate a marble statue of George Washington. When the South fell and the capitol of the Confederacy was in flames, refugees fleeing the fires along the James assembled in the Square to protect the building.
The building doesn't look anything like any other capitol building I have ever seen. It is beautiful and does look just like a Roman temple. I have driven past it before and never knew it was the capitol! It was a lot smaller than I expected but the history is SO rich and alive there I feel like it had much more to offer than other more modern capitol buildings.
I took a picture of the state seal. I have only lived here in VA for two years and I has never seen the seal before. The four designers of the seal didn't want to show allegiance to Britian and they found inspiration in classic Roman ideals once again. Traditionally, a seal resembeled a coat of arms, pleding loyalty to the royal family. The designers chose The Roman goddess, Virtus, who represented freedom. Also, they chose the Latin phrase, Sic Semper Tyrannis. It means Thus Always to Tyrants.
As you can see in the first picture I tried my hand at passing some laws but for some reason I was unsuccessful. Maybe it was because I was in the old senate room or because perhaps me and my best friend were the only ones there! Oh well, I guess I will stick with being a scholar for now.
I definately recommend this field trip to the class. It was like stepping back into the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment