Friday, September 11, 2009

The Best Me

“The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried” (Emerson). For a long time I was afraid to try. I was afraid to even attempt for fear of failure. I doomed myself to failure because I would not try. I lacked the confidence I needed to succeed because I was not true to myself. I was not true to my beliefs, ideals and the very foundation of my being. Now as I align my conduct with my belief I know anything is possible. I know that if I set my mind to it, I can accomplish anything I desire.

“My life is for itself and not for a spectacle. I much prefer that it should be of a lower strain, so it be genuine and equal, than that it should be glittering and unsteady” (Emerson). I do not envy the “rich and famous”. Their lives are a spectacle. I would not wish the sadness and misery that accompany life in a fish bowl on myself or anyone I love. Real happiness comes from being true to oneself. I attempt to be tough and untouchable because in the eyes of the world to be soft is to be weak. To be loving and gentle, to feel deeply, to weep for the sad and mourn for the weary is feeble. I have been blessed with the capacity to empathize with others and now I will no longer ignore that but instead embrace it.

“It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude” (Emerson). Why in public do I conform to the opinion of the world? Why do I become some treasonous imitation of myself? When I step out into the world I will live after my own opinion and with the same independence of solitude. I will embrace the divinity God has planted in my soul and nurture it until it takes root and grows.

“We pass for what we are. Character teaches above our wills. Men imagine that they communicate their virtue or vice only by overt actions, and do not see that virtue or vice emit a breath every moment” (Emerson). True beauty (and virtue) is reflected from within. If there is no internal virtue, it does not matter what our actions are. They are an empty shell of God’s intentions for us. I will continue refine my intrinsic virtue and to ensure it shines from deep within.

“I will stand here for humanity, and though I would make it kind, I would make it true” (Emerson). The right path is seldom the easy path. While being honest one does not have to be cruel. For me there is a delicate balance in being tactfully honest. I will inspire change and give a voice to those who have none. I will make it true.

“These roses under my window make no reference to former roses or to better ones; they are for what they are; they exist with God to-day. There is no time to them. There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence” (Emerson). I will compare myself to no one. I will be what I am, what I was created to be and I will exist with God.

Whatever I accomplish, it will be great.
When I am the best me, I will be fearless when I try.
When I am my ideal self I will be genuine and equal.
When I am truly me, I will maintain the independence of solitude.I will emit virtue at every breath.
In my heart of hearts, I will know I am perfect in every moment of my existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment