Friday, September 4, 2009

Committee review and discussion: week 2

Pennsylvania Committee Week 2

I, the unofficial and self appointed, Pennsylvania Committee crier ring my bell and stand up on my soap box. Greetings to one and all. I am proud of our committee. Our debut into the world of literature and blogging has been a success. "Dr. Brandon asked us to ask questions and get each other thinking. After reading your blogs, I had these questions and comments. I'm not out to offend anyone, but I would like to get a good conversation going..."

Committee member Jenny, it is true we are free to choose how we want to live and have the choice to create the life we want. You say that an American can be anyone they want to be and have any intelligence level. Part of the freedom to create your life could include living in a cardboard box and no one could take that away from you. I fear we might be giving our friends, who are not yet our country men, the wrong impression. I think most people who have limited education and intelligence or live in cardboard boxes do not make those choices but are victims of circumstance, don’t you? You are correct that it is difficult to pin down specifics of what it is to be an American. It is a very broad scope but if we focus on the foundation and beliefs of our country then we can show mastery and a clear picture of what it really means. I loved your final paragraph! It made me excited and it enticed me.

Committee member Jon, are we really free to live on our own terms? In this country we are ruled by laws just like any other country. We all have someone or many people we have to answer to. It could be your boss, landlord, a policeman or a judge. You say the people have a great affect on the government and politicians are representative of the people. Our views of the democracy we live in are very different. The way I see it, most are out to accomplish individual agendas and further their own causes. In your letter you talked about many branches on the “cultural tree” of our country. Technology, the media, sports and transportation are all vital to us Americans. It is true, our country is more appealing to immigrants because of our diverse cultural mixing.

Committee member Ronnie, yes we do have religious freedom but we are not free from persecution. There is still anger, oppression and intolerance here. Think back to September 12, 2001. That was the day after our world changed forever. People who visibly show their faith are judged and discriminated against because of the actions of others. Part of the American dream is to own a house but when you speak of our houses having six bedrooms, three bathrooms and a personal theater and gym, that isn’t representative of the general population. Also, it makes us sound shallow and materialistic. I feel like many Americans are but was that your intent? I don’t agree “if you can make it here you can make it anywhere”. Even though we are cut throat, we have more opportunities to succeed here than anywhere else in the world. On the other side, I loved the example you used of the Sham- wow! It is proof that, “ find a need, fill a need” can make anyone’s dreams come true. I loved when you talked about listening to your heart, picking a path and starting your journey. It not only applies to education but to any aspect in making your American dream come true.

Committee member Tiffany, I have nothing to offer in the way of debate. Your choice of words painted a colorful pictures and created vivid imagery in my mind. Yes, I agree that to be an American means to have an open heart and love of opportunity. I love how the beginning of your letter and the end mirrored each other!

Committee member Connie, as you say “you are older than the average age college student” and perhaps that is why I enjoyed your perspective so much. This country was built with a vision and a promise from inherited ideals. Looking to the past does reflect where we have been. Your letter was full of debate and contradictions. The examples you used such as marriage and divorce, family and dysfunction, healthcare and mortality rates, American cars and foreign fuel all show the dichotomy of our country. With a little luck and a lot of hard work we can climb the social and economic ladder and become a success!

Once again, I think you all did a great job and any questions that I posed are meant to help us start thinking deeper and start discussion. Please let me know if anything I said was misconstrued or if I can improve in any way. I want your feedback too!

No comments:

Post a Comment